What a week! This week I covered 60, (yes 60!) teensy, tiny, buttons for my wedding dress.
I looked for a little while to see if I could find a button covering service that would do it for me, but all the ones I found were closed over the Christmas break. So I bought a whole heap of the ‘self-cover’ buttons from Darn Cheap Fabrics.
It took me a little while to work out the best way to put them together. I first followed the method they recommended on the packet, which involved using a gather stitch around the very edge of the circle of fabric, then gathering that around the shaft of the button, before pushing a small cog down the shaft to hold the fabric in place.
Being the impatient creature that I am I decided there was no way I was going to hand-stitch around 60 little silk circles, so I tried one on the machine, it was a complete failure. To begin with the gather stitch was too long for the size of the circle, then it was too hard to turn it underneath the foot. Finally when I finished sewing & tried to gather it, the thread just pulled out the silk weave leaving me with a frayed mess. FAIL!
Instead I found a small cardboard tube, roughly the same diameter as the buttons. I would lay the silk circles over the hole in the tube, push the button into the tube, stuff the excess fabric into the button & then push the little cog down to hold it in place. This method worked a treat.
Now I’m sure there’s some sewing goddess out there who always does things the way they are meant to be done & who is eternally patient. I’m sure this impossible person will go on to tell me that I should have done it the way I was told to. That the sides of the buttons would be more even, no creases anywhere, the buttons would last longer & so on. But, these buttons only need to last one day, nobody is looking at the sides & I like the way they look. Which is, I guess, the most important thing.